You are in the hands of Brian Lee Rivers every day 10am-3pm on KJ-108. This is working man's radio with a guy at the controls that REALLY knows his rock! BLR brings you Classic and new rock that you can listen to all day long. Plus, at high noon, the Electric Lunch; Win lunch from the Red Pepper of Grand Forks with the Lost Lyric Competition, Name That Album, and more! This REALLY is radio that you can lock into and stay with all day long!
I’ve got two boys that I’m raising and so far they have picked up none of my bad habits. Now that I’m a family man, I left the rock band thing that I did when I was younger. I spent age 17 to 35 or so moonlighting as lead vocalist with a little keyboard playing to help fill out the sound with different bands over those years, Ranging from high school garage bands to serious regional bands that toured a little and to local bands that got it’s ya-ya’s out in small clubs around the area. I was never close to the big time and never expected to get close; I just had a good time doing it. I realized I had to quit because my kids were young and demanding and it was too hard to function as a parent on Sunday morning when you got back from Warroad at . God, do I miss the band thing, but my life with my kids is beyond words and I have no regrets, just a little longing that would probably go away a couple of weeks later if I got back into it again.
My life is Family, Work and Youth Sports right now and it’s been blur.
The Twins couldn't hit again last night and the Royals thumped them once again to a tune of 8-1. Andrew Albers wasn't great on the mound but he wasn't terrible either. Albers gave up 3 runs in 7 innings of work. Casey Fein and Anthony Swarzak were tagged for 5 runs in the final two innings.
Albers was Ok... The Bats have been absolutely shut down without Mauer who is recovering from a concussion. The offense has been a problem all year with or without Mauer.
Speaking of offense... The most interesting thing from last night was the report that Josh Willingham was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles.
This doesn't mean that Josh is going to Baltimore... It means that Baltimore has interest in trying to make a deal for Willingham or interest in blocking a deal with another club for Willingham and they have until noon tomorrow to work out a deal with the Twins.
The Twins options are:
1. Work out a deal with the Orioles for a player they like in the trade and complete the trade.
2. Let the Orioles have him and assume his entire contract that will include 2014 for 7 million.
3. Pull him back off waivers because the Orioles didn't offer enough in a trade. Since the Orioles made the claim... The Twins can only negotiate a trade with the Orioles.
Forget about option 2... It ain't gonna happen. The Twins have young players coming up but none of them should be ready to replace the power that Josh has in 2014. So that leaves option #1 and option #3. The Orioles will have to offer enough to make it worth while for the Twins to let him go. The Twins don't need to let Josh go because he is under contract for next year.
I have no idea what happens when GM's call each other and discuss trades and waiver claims. I don't think it's like you and me making a fantasy baseball deal. They have scouts, advisors and coaches and plenty of them on the payroll who advise the GM in all steps of the process.
This leads to a few questions:
1. Did Minnesota Twins GM Terry Ryan put Willingham on waivers just to see what would happen without talking to the Orioles about their interest in Willingham?
2. Did Terry Ryan have a conversation with the Orioles leading the Twins to put Willingham on waivers for purpose of a trade to the Orioles?
3. Did Terry Ryan have a conversation with another club about Wililngham leading the Twins to put Willingham on waivers for purpose of a trade to that team and the Orioles stepped up and blocked the deal by claiming Willingham so the other team couldn't. This is something that happens in August from time to time. A player is claimed to keep another team from getting him.
All 3 are possible I guess.
The other consideration in all of this is... Justin Morneau. Morneau was placed on Waivers and he cleared waivers with no team claiming him. Terry Ryan can now deal with any team free and clear in a trade for Morneau. I guess it's possible that both Morneau and Willingham could be packaged together for a larger deal with the Orioles.
Anything is possible... We will know about Willingham by tomorrow at noon.
The only thing we know right now is that both Willingham and Morneau were sent through waivers. Willingham was claimed by the Orioles and Morneau was claimed by no one.
The other thing we know is that the Twins will not be in the playoffs in 2013 and need to think about 2014. Willingham could be part of those plans and Morneau may not be.
The Twins play the Royals today at Noon. Deduno pitches for the Twins and both Morneau and Willingham are in the lineup.